why this course?
The Old Testament confuses or intimidates many people. This course helps students understand its overarching narrative of creation, fall, and redemption and also recognize their own life story in this light as well.
audit for $375
Auditing means you are not required to complete assignments and the professor will not be reviewing your work. We strongly recommend full participation for maximum value.
By the end of this course, the student will:
- Read key selections from the Hebrew Bible.
- Know the order and basic content of each book of the Hebrew Bible.
- Understand, remember, and creatively. summarize the overarching story of the Hebrew Bible.
- Locate the story of the Hebrew Bible within the historical Ancient Near Eastern context in which it was first told and written.
- Articulate how the story of the Hebrew Bible integrates with his or her own life journey.
- Possess a foundation from which to pursue further studies of the Hebrew Bible and Christian scriptures.
Longman, Tremper, III. Introducing the Old Testament: A Short Guide to its History and Message. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2012.
The Holy Bible
The Bible: The Epic Miniseries. (2013). [DVD] Directed by C. Reece, T. Mitchell and C. Christopher Spencer. Los Angeles: LightWorkers Media. (also available on Netflix)
This course surveys the books of the Hebrew Bible with particular attention paid to the history of the Israelite nation within the context of the Ancient Near East.
This course is a prerequisite for:
- B211 The Pentateuch
- B311 The Books of Poetry and Wisdom
- B312 Prophetic Literature
- B313 Old Testament Historical Books
- Lectures 24
- Quizzes 0
- Duration College Semester
- Skill level Level 100
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
MTS, BRE, BA Comm
I joined the ABC team in 2014. Having been nurtured by the ABC community as a student myself, I now continue the tradition of helping ABC students mature in their interaction with scripture, exploration of theology, and practice of the spiritual life. I oversee ABC's Student Development department and teach in the areas of Old Testament and Spiritual Formation. I am married to Brenda, and we have four children (Holly, Michael, Thomas, and Pearson).